Live Oak Social Justice Ministry
Unitarian Universalists have a long and strong history of social justice work. We, here at Live Oak, want to help alleviate the suffering and injustices in our community and in our world. We welcome everyone to help us make the world a better place.
Currently our Social Justice Ministry has several ongoing projects:
- Every week we take a food offering for the children and families of Goleta Headstart.
- Every two months we purchase and prepare dinner for the people at Transition House.
- Two times per month we donate half of our Sunday offering to a local non-profit or a Social Justice related Unitarian Universalist organization, including the California UU Justice Ministry.
- We support and advocate for gun control to help reduce gun violence.
- We are a Welcoming Congregation and support the LGBTQ community.
- We have members who participate in ECOFaith which is an interfaith group addressing environmental issues.
Congregational Study Action Issue (CSAI) Team
In June 2014 the General Assembly of the Unitarian Universalist Association adopted a four year study action issue of working to reverse escalating inequality in wealth and income in America since it is the root cause of many social justice problems. The Live Oak CSAI Team was formed and has been working since November 2014 on this subject. The first activity was showing the documentary movie Inequality for All in which Robert Reich points out inequality in America is now worse that it was before the Great Depression and is getting worse. The CSAI Team has compiled a library of article on this topic, any of which are available for the asking. Just send an email to CSAI Team Captain Hal Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org.